cranes-fan.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cranes at Lokerse Feesten

Post new topic   Reply to topic    cranes-fan.com Forum Index -> Cranes Message Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dot Cotton

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject: Cranes at Lokerse Feesten Reply with quote

Cranes played an excellent set at the Lokerse Feesten in Belgium last night. I have heard better versions of 'Lilies' but knowing that the sound on big open air festivals can be shit, this was by far the best festival show Cranes ever did. Stu the sound man deserves a badge.
Drum sticks flying around and Ali forgetting to get her guitar for one of the songs added to the fun of seeing them play live again.
The festival grounds were way to full, squeezing 15.000 people into an area obviously more suited for max. 10.000 made standing around hellish. Mercury Rev were slick and technically brillaint but tedious, even their cool backdrops couldn't keep me interested.
As for the Cure, this was by far the worst Cure show I've ever seen. A lack of interest, enthusiasm, buggering up lyrics and ample use of backing tapes made this performance an uninteresting ordeal. This is what happens when you kick your keyboard player out of the band I suppose, and replace his keys with half-harted guitar solos. I was hoping that the return of excellent guitar player Porl Thompson was going to add a new spark to the band. This was probably the last Cure show I'll bother to look at.
johan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked the Cure !

During the Cranes gig it was still possible to get to the front rows, which was impossible during the Cure gig !

The Lokerse Feesten, which used to be fun are getting much too big, just like Marktrock and the Gentse Feesten.
johan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Setlist ?
quendin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cranes: AAAAAAAAAAA++++++++++
Cure indeed: I left the gig after 4 songs, not my cup of tea.

Too many people is true.
But during Cranes, atmosphere was good.
Not in the right order, but Cranes played (probably I forget some songs:

Tangled up
Future song
Loved
Flute song
Everywhere
Vanishing point
Jewel
Light song
Here comes the snow
Far away
Adoration
Lilies

Please someone, correct and help me with the setlist.
Dot Cotton

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was frontish row during the cure, but c an safely say you didn't miss anything Smile I can honestly say that I thought their show was dire.
Paul - Cranes

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was something like this:

Tangled up
Everywhere
Loved
Shining Road
Light song
Future song
Flute song
Vanishing point
Here comes the snow
Jewel
Far away
Lilies
Adoration

I may have Light Song in the wrong place, but I don't think so. Looking forward very much to Berlin........
Moaske

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pictures of the Cranes gig are almost ready... still waiting for that B&W film to be developed. Somewhere mid next week i'll mail everything to Mike, so he can put them up here...
I'm afraid it's not my best work... i'm not used to these huge, way too high festival-stages. So i'm afraid i brought too short a lens, and since i'm small, i couldn't even spot you (Paul) at all up there... But lets hope the forthcoming B&W film has some better stuff to offer...

Until then there's one pic of Ali and one of Mr Smith on my weblog to look at... Cool

Moaske's weblog
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
quendin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came close Smile
Moaske

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Cranes at Lokerse Feesten Reply with quote

Dot Cotton wrote:
The festival grounds were way to full, squeezing 15.000 people into an area obviously more suited for max. 10.000 made standing around hellish...

In the back of the square was plenty of room left... Wink The sound's way better there too... I watched most of the Cure show from somewhere near the PA-mix-tower. (Of course with the Cranes i was right in front of the stage with my cam, just like the first 3 songs of the Cure... had press-ticket Twisted Evil ).
Dot Cotton wrote:
....this is what happens when you kick your keyboard player out of the band I suppose, and replace his keys with half-harted guitar solos....

'Half-hearted' ?? Com'on...it's Porl we're talking about here Miss... Shocked I guess you've probably had an overkill of Cure shows in recent years (which isn't the case for me; only third show ever).
I thought it was quite OK...

Btw: picures of both gigs are posted to our little site Party-Pix.net

Moaske's weblog
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
johan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must have seen the Cure live for 10 or 15 times since 1987 (I'm old), but I definitely loved this gig !

And in the middle of the field, the sound was much better than on the front rows.
Moaske

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johan wrote:
.... but I definitely loved this gig !

And in the middle of the field, the sound was much better than on the front rows.

I couldn't agree more... Smile

I aspecially liked the fact that they played so many old songs like "push" and "charlotte sometimes"... For me it was the first time i ever heard these songs being played live Cool

Since i'm not that old, 1992 is back far enough for me... Wink That was my first time Cure, and first time Cranes as well (and in love with them ever since).

Moaske's weblog
cranes-fan.com
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

some nice photos from the fest are now up...

http://www.cranes-fan.com/tour/pics/lokeren05/

thanks marco and steven for the great shots!
pills23

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice photos!
What song does Ali play acoustic guitar on?
Dot Cotton

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: Cranes at Lokerse Feesten Reply with quote

Dot Cotton wrote:
....this is what happens when you kick your keyboard player out of the band I suppose, and replace his keys with half-harted guitar solos....

'Half-hearted' ?? Com'on...it's Porl we're talking about here Miss... Shocked I guess you've probably had an overkill of Cure shows in recent years (which isn't the case for me; only third show ever).
I thought it was quite OK...

Btw: picures of both gigs are posted to our little site Party-Pix.net[/quote]

Haha Porl should have known better than to go back really Smile. But I was talking about mr smith. It bothered me that keyboard bits that made up such a significant part of some of the tracks, were drowned in random guitar bits, lacking energy and the fact that certain people simply forgot to play or gave up and forgot their lyrics made the entire thing painful to look at.
Anga

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other pics will be added as soon as I can give the right CD-R to Quendin, Who'll send them to Mike's... Let's enjoy Marco's pic's in the meantime!! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    cranes-fan.com Forum Index -> Cranes Message Board All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: